Old 18-05-2005, 04:02 PM
Harold Walker

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 May 2005 14:15:08 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

I've just removed the first suckers from my toms and also noticed that one
or two of them have formed small buds, soon to be flowers.
Am I dreaming or have I read somewhere that the suckers should not be left
in the vicinity of the parent plant? - something to do with disease etc?
Also is now a good time to give them fertilizer and if so what? - I have
growmore, FB&B and miracle-gro....they are still in 9" pots, I'm planting
them directly into the ground next week.

It is possible to root side shoots and produce new plants. Because
our season is so short, I sometimes try this trick. Stop one or two
plants as soon as the first flower buds appear. Leave one leaf above
the flower shoot. You will then get a truss of fruit sooner than if
you leave them to make more trusses.
If your side shoots are producing flowers already, then I would guess
that they are bush type anyway and would not, as Harry says, need
pinching out anyway.
What variety are they?

Pam in Bristol

To pinch or not to pinch is entirely at the discretion of the grower and
this applies to both bush or cordon type tomatoes.....H