Old 18-05-2005, 04:37 PM
shazzbat

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
Pam Moore wrote:
:: On Wed, 18 May 2005 14:15:08 GMT, "Phil L"
:: wrote:
::
::: I've just removed the first suckers from my toms and also noticed
::: that one or two of them have formed small buds, soon to be
::: flowers.
::: Am I dreaming or have I read somewhere that the suckers should
::: not be left in the vicinity of the parent plant? - something to
::: do with disease etc? Also is now a good time to give them
::: fertilizer and if so what? - I have growmore, FB&B and
::: miracle-gro....they are still in 9" pots, I'm planting them
::: directly into the ground next week.
::
:: It is possible to root side shoots and produce new plants. Because
:: our season is so short, I sometimes try this trick. Stop one or two
:: plants as soon as the first flower buds appear. Leave one leaf
:: above the flower shoot. You will then get a truss of fruit sooner
:: than if you leave them to make more trusses.
:: If your side shoots are producing flowers already, then I would
:: guess that they are bush type anyway and would not, as Harry says,
:: need pinching out anyway.
:: What variety are they?

Shirly..not bush tomatoes - my OP was a bit misleading, the side shoots
aren't producing flowers, the main plants are, hence my Q's about
fertilizers.

I would plant them in as much manure as you can.

Steve