Old 18-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Kay

In article , Dave
writes
Sue Begg writes:

| Whilst on the subject of nettles. I would like to leave a patch for the
| flutterbies but dread the seedlings that would emerge everywhere else (I
| still haven't managed to clear the old ones yet) Is it feasible to
| strim them before they set seed ? Or will that defeat the object ?

Nick Maclaren writes
Not in my experience. If, however, the nettles are separated from
cultivated areas, compost heaps etc. by at least 5, preferably 10,
yards of grass, it isn't a problem. The seeds are heavy and drop.

ISTR that there are two nettle types, one that propagates from seed,
which I think is the smaller leaved most viscous stinger, and the other
which propagates by runners.

There is an annual one and a perennial one. The annual one obviously has
to propagate by seed, the perennial can propagate by runners and puts
most of its energy into this, although it does also propagate by seed.

The runners can be removed by levering the thick yellow roots up with a
fork about 3 or 4 " below ground level, and pulling slowly with well-
gloved hands (I use some welders gauntlets - £3 and very tough).

You don't need gloves - the roots don't sting. You need to make sure the
top ends aren't waving around in your face though ;-)

If you
have a lot you can effectively roll them up like a sort of carpet by
levering in this way, then compost the lot.

The seeding types I have never managed to get far enough away to know if
Nicks advice is right, but I live in hope :-))

--
Kay