Old 18-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Harold Walker

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 May 2005 16:37:35 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

I would plant them in as much manure as you can.

Are you sure? Too much manure will promote leafy growth rather than
fruit. What do others think? Harry, how do you feed yours?
A question on these lines cropped up on GQT a while ago. It was about
growing tomatoes in containers. John Cushnie said to plant them one
plant to a half-barrel and to put manure in the bottom, but not so
that the roots would get to it too soon.
Also, re feeding, they said you should keep them quite dry before
planting out, so they don't get too sappy, and for the same reason not
to feed until the first truss was setting. Then give a high potash
feed, "tomato" feed.

Pam in Bristol

I plant them in a mixture of seaweed, compost, soil and slow release
fertilizer that has a whole bunch of trace elements and then periodically
water them with a tomato fertilizer(with trace elelments) just for
luck....then mulch them with a layer of seaweed......I have grown them in
pure rotted cow manure without any other adders with excellent results....I
like to play around with them.....may have said this before and if so my
apologies...tomatoes can be grown in bales of straw without any soil, same
for sawdust, same for pure peat moss....just feed 'em well and they will do
well....H