Old 18-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Phil L
writes
I've just removed the first suckers from my toms and also noticed that one
or two of them have formed small buds, soon to be flowers.
Am I dreaming or have I read somewhere that the suckers should not be left
in the vicinity of the parent plant? - something to do with disease etc?
Also is now a good time to give them fertilizer and if so what? - I have
growmore, FB&B and miracle-gro....they are still in 9" pots, I'm planting
them directly into the ground next week.

If by 'suckers' you mean side shoots, they should be removed from the
plants as soon as they are seen in order to improve the quality of the
main crop from the plant. They can be used to propagate new plants if
you need more growing. Do NOT feed tomato plants until the first truss
has formed, and only then if you think the soil they are growing in is
nutrient deficient and unable to support cropping plants.

--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.