Old 18-05-2005, 09:57 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , shazzbat
writes

Would it not be easier to use a spirit level......H
Steve

Well you could, but I'm guessing that the OP hasn't got one, or she might
not have asked the question.

I have, I have, I've got a great big long level and a small Thingy but I
couldn't see how you would get the posts to be straight all round at
once, I thought if I walloped really hard as I have been known so to do,
the met post would go in straight from say front to back but then lean
when I stuck the six foot wooden post in as any variance is going to be
magnified at six foot!

Also the matter of stepping back and checking
doesn't just make sure you get it right, It also gives you an important
breather in between bouts of wielding a lump or sledge hammer. You have to
pace yourself, especially if you're not in the first flush of youth.

And let's not forget another important aspect of such things, which is that
if you finish the job too soon, A/ your efforts might be insufficiently
appreciated and rewarded, and B/ another job might be found for you. And
that would never do, would it?

Advice inwardly digested
--
Janet Tweedy