Old 18-05-2005, 09:54 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

Would it not be easier to use a spirit level......H

Yes of course. That's not the point. The repeated stepping back,
eyeballing, frowning, minute manual adjusting etc is a traditional part
of DIY-UK* nestbuilding rituals. The spiritual element only comes into
play much later, usually after the female of the species squawks " Is
that new fence-post straight? Looks to me as if it's leaning over". The
male DIY-UK often puffs up into an aggressive display stance with small
explosive sounds. Then he spends some time alone in the shed ,
meditating on blood sacrifice. Finally, he selects Old Trusty from his
large collection of spirit-levels, and straightens up the fencepost.

* The female can be identified by the rolling eyes and faint clicking
sound under her breath "Tut, duh, yuk"

Janet.

Well as it's ME that's doing it Janet I thought a different approach
might be in order, with advice from the experts here

Why doesn't anyone invent a spirit level that's really a flat square
with the bubble bit in the centre and four radial glassy bits so you can
see each way at once if you balance the flat square on top of things
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph