Old 18-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Chris Bacon
writes

I wouldn't use Metposts for a 6' post unless it was for a very
well sheltered fence, or a possibly corner post, or for a "non-
solid" fence that lets the wind blow through. They're useless
osds, 'though someone will always put their hand up & say they
were OK for something....

I have got a bag of fence post concrete/cement and someone is going to
come and do the carpentry bit with me but I have to get the
holes/metposts dug first. Ground hasn't been walked on much for about 35
years as it had shrubs etc, but we are on flint and stones with a
handful of soil and clay.

That is precisely the sort of soil where a Metpost sounds like a
good idea. In my soil (sand, silt and clay, with occasional stones),
they are complete jokes. As I say, I have used one, it doesn't
hold anything up, and it wobbles.

If you tried the way that I put my posts in for growing things up,
you would go stark staring bonkers after the first one. Or perhaps
before.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.