Old 06-02-2003, 10:26 AM
BAC

Default birds

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Druss" contains these words:

Now that fat balls have had a mention has anyone found a good source of

bulk
purchase of these, preferably somewhere near south oxfordshire.
I have found them for 15p each but some places round here are selling

the
same ones for 56p each, outrageous, I'd just like to find a cheaper

source.

I get lumps of raw beef fat/suet free from the butcher. It's solid fat
just as it comes from the carcase, in lumps the size of two clenched
fists. You can cut smaller lumps and put them in one of those coiled
springy feeders, but I put larger ones inside a feeder that looks like a
clay summerhouse...tits and blackbirds can get inside, crows can't. They
soon reduce it to a small bit of connective gristle. Spare supplies can
be stored in the freezer.

If you want the kind of fatball that has seeds in it, you can melt the
suet in the oven and when the fat is cooling but still runny, mix in
seeds and set it in a large yoghurt pot.

As a variant on the above, I've set the fat/seed mixture in half coconut
shells, which look quite 'rustic' hung up in the garden, with fat etc
inside.