Old 19-05-2005, 10:02 AM
BAC

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

snip

I still don't understand how killing a piece of vermin in 10 seconds could
be considered to be inhumane, it would not surprise me if it took a lot
longer than that to kill the things by bashing them over the head, if you
could identify the head whilst it was in a sack.

The first blows would most certainly hit any other parts of the body, it
would
require several blows, which would undoubtably take far longer that the 10
seconds required to kill the thing by drowning, the traumer caused to the
vermin would be greater than drowning.

If drowning of mammals is considered a humane form of destruction by the
powers that be, isn't it a little surprising that it doesn't seem to be a
recommended method, and that DEFRA, for example, warns in its rat technical
advice note that drowning is inhumane and a person doing it is risking
prosecution for cruelty?

However, you may be right, and drowning of squirrels may not be contrary to
current law. Next time you deliberately drown a squirrel, why not report
yourself to the RSPCA or the local police and find out?