Old 19-05-2005, 01:07 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Janet Baraclough writes:

Some plants I couldn't grow at all, even in totally shaded
locations, though I have started to do so again. Chives, mint

and
even things like tarragon were all very difficult 10-20 years

ago,
and don't even dream of primulas. However, in recent years,

even
some of the last have established themselves.

How do you prepare the soil, though? Do you add large amounts

of
humus in planting holes and mulch the surface, to make it more
water-retentive?

Yes, masses. That doesn't help much with week after week of drying
wind and sun.

OK: I did say "in most parts". I think I remember your saying you
were on a sandy soil, too: not always fun, I imagine.

--
Mike.