Old 19-05-2005, 01:09 PM
shazzbat

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

Well as it's ME that's doing it Janet I thought a different approach
might be in order, with advice from the experts here

Yeah, the comment was on the advice not you :-)

Why doesn't anyone invent a spirit level that's really a flat square
with the bubble bit in the centre and four radial glassy bits so you can
see each way at once if you balance the flat square on top of things

One of J's spirit levels does go round corners, iirc.
We don't use metposts, partly because its so windy here that tall posts
need much deeper anchoring than they provide. Your long fence covered in
plants will be just like a big sail in high wind.

We just dig a narrow deep hole..a job that usually falls to me,
apparently because my arms are thinner, though they're also shorter so I
have to lie flat on the ground scrabbling the bottom out with a catfood
tin...

I've seen a tool that would be good for this situation if you do a lot of
it. It looks like two spades with their handles fixed together with a pivot
just behind the blades, so you can put it down the hole, close the blades,
and lift out the spoil.

The geezer who comes round to empty the gullies round here has a very
similar implement. You could nick his while he's not looking, but it might
smell a bit.

Steve