Old 19-05-2005, 01:18 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Mike Lyle" writes:

| How do you prepare the soil, though? Do you add large amounts
| of
| humus in planting holes and mulch the surface, to make it more
| water-retentive?
|
| Yes, masses. That doesn't help much with week after week of drying
| wind and sun.
|
| OK: I did say "in most parts". I think I remember your saying you
| were on a sandy soil, too: not always fun, I imagine.

Usually, it is. But not in those conditions. Or, rather, the
problem is the combination of them and winter wet (with enough
clay to cause the soil to hold water). In purer, deeper sand,
the real drought lovers would thrive. In my soil, I can grow
most things, but can lose sensitive plants at either end in
many years - and not just really extreme ones.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.