Old 19-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Sacha

On 19/5/05 11:01, in article ,
"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 18/5/05 8:11 pm, in article

snip

That's a point, Sacha, I'd not thought of that. I bow to your
superior knowledge... ;o)

Nice of you but unnecessary! Like everyone else, I learn by my
errors and the knowledge of others. ;-)

You run a nursery, therefore, in my mind, you *HAVE* to know more than me.

My husband and step son run the nursery and I help out here and there,
learning as I go, too. But they're experts. I came here originally as a
customer who knew a fair bit about plants and gardens - I thought - until I
learned how much I didn't/don't know! In fact, as longer term urglers here
know, our marriage is all David Poole's 'fault' - he sent me here in the
first place!

My kitchen windowsill has been dubbed 'Death Row' (I was forcing some toms
and a couple of cucumbers for planting out in my small (lean-to) greenhouse
(which is unheated) and they have, despite my best efforts, died on me -
again! Think I'll take that as a hint and give up. My father produces
trailing 'cherries' by the barrowful (literally - he has them in an old
wheelbarrow) - I'll stick to 'nicking' them from him...

We grow Tumbler in hanging baskets and it works very well. They don't
usually make it from the greenhouse to the kitchen, though!

My one achievement this spring was to divvy up a £2.99 osteospernum (sp?)
into four plants - and, so far, they're all doing fine (shouldn't have said
that - I'll go outside later and find them all dead...). I like doing that,
it appeals to the frugal in me (I'm of Yorkshire and Scottish stock). I then
thought I could sell the others for £1.50 and make a 100% profit, which
would enable me to buy another plant, divvy it up and sell the results which
would enable me to buy /two/ plants and... well, you get the idea... ;o)

How do you think most nurseries started? ;-) When my husband came here in
1981 the nursery was growing lettuces, tomatoes and cucumbers which his
family had done for three generations back in Essex. Because the garden
here was planted originally by a once-famous garden writer and plantsman,
Edward Hyams, there were some very interesting things in it and people
started asking Ray for them. So, along with growing pinks for cutting and
sending away and the toms and cus etc., Ray started propagating some of the
things from the garden. 24 years later........... ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk