Old 19-05-2005, 02:58 PM
bigboard

Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message
from "Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond contains these
words:

I couldn't agree more. These early pickings are quite the best~
but
only for cooking and with plenty of sugar. No skins or seeds~ delicious.
I have a row of Careless cordons that produce a gallon each and
benefit from a May thinning. Later ones are sweeter and look impressive
but are not so pleasant IMO.
Tough skins etc.

Tough ones are ideal for gooseberry fool. Simmer the fruit with a
little sugar, pass it through a sieve (gets rid of seeds and skins),
blend the puree with some cream or real custard or both and chill.

Oooh, lovely. Haven't had that for years. How much sugar do you use? I'm
quite happy with very rough estimates!

--
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the
subject.