Old 19-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Ethan Smith

Default [IBC] Growing Beds

Howdy everyone, I am totally new to the list and pretty new to Bonsai.

I am thinking about putting in a new growing bed in my back yard
specifically for pre-bonsai cultivation and training. Yep I convinced
my wife that we need sapce for things other than Dalias and So
hopefully in a few years I might have some nice trees to put in pots
and in the next few years learn how to keep them alive after they are
in pots :-)

I've read a little about growing beds and how it can be advantageous
to use a freely draining soil similar to what we use in containers, in
a growing bed.

The bed will be about 3-4 feet wide and about 15-20 feeet long. It is
currently grass. I was thinking I would dig this and pile the grass on
my compost which is currently overflowing. Then buy a few yards of top
soil and till until my arms fall off. Easy enough.

But lets say I didn't want to buy top soil at all, ie Pine Bark, Sand
/ Grit, Peat.

I should ad that it gets full sun and is generally a nice dark clayish
topsiol typical of Ohio that hasn't been cultivated in 30 years plus
or minus and the rest of my gardens have been doing famously..

thanks,

-Ethan

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++