Old 19-05-2005, 06:02 PM
Steve

Al wrote:
......................I just wanted to point out to anybody thinking of
summering their plants outside, that you want night temps that stay reliably
in the upper 50 or *preferably* a bit higher into the mid 60s before taking
most tropical orchid plants outside......................................

Just a comment about my conditions. I put my plants out around or after
mid June. They come back in, in early September. Our last frost date is
June 1st and I've had frost after that sometimes. Our "normal" low
during the warmest part of July is 52 degrees. There is no time when the
lows are in the upper 50s for more than a few days at a time. The only
thing that saves me is that I live on the water front so we don't get
lows way below normal while the lake is warm.
I've been putting orchids outside at this location since 1980. I learned
very early on that Phals don't go outside here.

Steve (in the Adirondacks)