Old 06-02-2003, 04:41 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default Ladyslipper

Harold wrote in message ...
Ah, I hadn't realised you were from that side of the pond Harold.
Yes, C.reginae is a native to your country so it would grow wild there,

but
Someone tell me different, please, I really want to grow it, it's such a
beautiful plant

========================
From what I have seen the only difference is the colour of the flower...do
not believe you see a difference in the leaves.
Growing them is not difficult if you have the right conditions.....my few
plants self seed in "dirt".....I usually use that word in place of soil as
that is what my little chunk of property consists of.....a sand lot left
over from the last ice age.......the top six inches is fairly acidic and
spongy from the pine needles over the years and beneath that is
sand....note...sand not sandy.

Pretty specific soil conditions you have there, very different from my
Thames silt/clay, so I would need to invest a lot of work to create just the
soil needed for this species without it's other requirements.
Just providing the right soil conditions is not enough if my first failed
effort is anything to go by. :-(

Regarding the mycorrhiza fungus, our Dactylorhiza maculata & D. fuchsii do
seed around, and we normally only see young plants in my old Lily pots, so
do lilies also use a similar fungus? The orchid seed wouldn't germinate
without it's presence.
--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.