Old 19-05-2005, 04:51 PM
Victoria Clare

Chris Bacon wrote in
:

Victoria Clare wrote:
It's rock, but it's not what I'd call solid. It's nasty shaly flaky
stuff that cracks easily and I would have thought sideways leverage
would probably crack it in an annoying manner.

If you're putting a gate in a hedge, then if you connect the
top of the poles, you won't need to go deep at all; you could
put some sort of decorative top on:

/\
/ \
/ \
/______\
| |
| |
| |
| o |
| |
| |

OK, that might work. How deep roughly would my hole-pounding need to go
roughly, do you think?

I guess if I put a paving slab or something in the archway (currently just
soil) that would help give the structure some rigidity too.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall