Old 19-05-2005, 09:08 PM
Colin Bearfield

On Wed, 18 May 2005 16:03:17 +0100, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Chris Bacon wrote:
Ed wrote:

[...]
The hose is
too thin to go over the tap nozzle, so I cant just go for the old
jubilee clip around the hose trick.

Can you warm the hose up to expand it? You'll probably need a gas
flame, used carefully. Your cooker or hob would do.

Hot, not boiling, water, I'd say. But that won't help if the tap has
a screw thread on the outer end, which seems to be what we're talking
about. I think there's something funny about the thread on either the
tap or the hose-connector. Maybe Ed should borrow a couple of hoses
from neighbours for comparison.

Well, it seems a bit of a mystery. Who would have thought that it
could go wrong.

Nobody in the thread so far has suggested using PTFE tap to make the
joint watertight. If the washer isn't up to the job a wad of the tape
wound clockwise as you see it from above would fill the gap. As for a
bib tap (that's what they're called|) costing £112 as per one of the
web pages, I'm astounded. I bought one recently from B&Q to replace
the one I installed 30 years ago. On closer inspection it just needed
the spindle packing with PTFE tape. I didn't even have to switch off
at the mains. I'm taking the tap back tomorrow - I wonder if they'll
give me £112 back?

Colin