Old 19-05-2005, 10:33 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Victoria Clare contains these words:

If you're putting a gate in a hedge, then if you connect the
top of the poles, you won't need to go deep at all; you could
put some sort of decorative top on:

/\
/ \
/ \
/______\
| |
| |
| |
| o |
| |
| |
=================================

OK, that might work. How deep roughly would my hole-pounding need to go
roughly, do you think?

I guess if I put a paving slab or something in the archway (currently just
soil) that would help give the structure some rigidity too.

Molish a trellis arch and grow marrows/beans etc up it.

I made a sort of tunnel up my front path once, and grew runners,
marrows, cucumbers and tomatoes up it. (tomatoes had to be tied up).

I'd come in in the evening and pick the veg for dinner as i walked up to
the front door.

Can't get much fresher than that.

Hmmmmmm. It's not too late to do that here this year...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/