Old 13-02-2003, 10:08 AM
Sarah Mould

Default Thinking about seeking a landscape designer - need advice

Hello everybody!

I've been lurking here for a while and gleaned a LOT of useful info,
so thanks to you all.

Now to my question:

I'm an interested but lazy gardener with little free time (away all
week). I have a suburban garden approx 30' square, which is currently
covered by (don't laugh!)
- a rectangle of concrete slabs textured as carzy paving and
coloured faded green/yellow
- a large square of gravel with circular stone texture slabs in the
middle with a bubble fountain in the centre
- a rectangle of grotty grass
- a miscellaneous corner with a collapsible shed
- a rectangular bed (gets the least sun!!!) with spotted laurel,
hebe and hydrangea
- two large birch trees and one evergreen (I've removed the row of
leylandii)
- concrete paths between all the above
.... you get the picture! The house is in Norwich, the garden faces
east but gets lots of sun. Well-drained sandy soil.

I want to find someone who can help me design a garden which will be
pleasing and not too high maintenance. Think architectural, no grass,
green rather than flowers, outdoor seating, big plants...

How should I go about locating this wonder worker? What about doing
the actual work - will a local designer be able to advise on
contractors? And can you suggest the sort of fee I should expect to
pay? (I'm not that flush, so the whole project will probably take 2 or
3 years.)

TIA!!