Old 20-05-2005, 02:56 PM
William Brown

I got cell phones for my wife and I because we walk in a remote area of
a large park for exercise, and, as we get older, I started thinking what
would we do if one of us became injured or incapacitated. In our area,
there are almost no pay phones left, so a cell phone is very handy,
almost a necessity.

We keep ours turned off most of the time, as we are together. I agree
that many people are out of control with their phones. Its common to
see drivers who pay no attention to driving because they are talking.
Once a woman ran into my cart in the grocery store because she was busy
talking on her cell phone and didn't see me. I listened to her talk and
she was putting in a special order in the meat department of the same
store, so it would be ready when she got to the end of the aisle!

I guess we are abnormal as we don't use the cell phones much. It is
handy when we return from a trip and I can call a cab to pick us up when
we have gotten our luggage, and when we visit our daughter in school we
can call her when we are 10 minutes out to make sure she is ready.

My wife often uses hers in place of our wired phone, as she likes to
wander around while she talks for hours, and no longer gets tangled in
the cord.

JC wrote:
X-No-Archive:yes

I am amazed at the proliferation of cell phones and the industry that
surrounds them. If you have a cell phone, how often and where do you
use it? Has it replaced your traditional 'land-line' phone?