Old 20-05-2005, 02:02 PM
Fergal

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message
Whatever else you do, DON'T PICK THE FLOWERS OFF - this is where the berry
comes from.

The crop from the first year is never very good but second and third years
you should find a vast improvement. In theory they should be replaced in
the fourth year - not 100% convinced of this but if you keep taking
runners, then you do have the opportunity of replacing at regular
intervals.

I realise that if I pick off the flowers, I'll get no fruit. Not that much
of a newbie What if I remove some of the flowers? For example, one of my
plants has about 30 flowers on it (a Cambridge Vigour), if I remove half of
them will I end up with 15 large berries as opposed to 30 small ones, or
just 15 small ones

I read somewhere that you're supposed to pick them off in the first year so
the plant can be stronger for the next year. I can't wait that long though.

They do need lots of feed - suggest high potash content.

When you say lots of potash feed, is a weekly dose of tomato food enough?