Old 20-05-2005, 02:18 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Jo" wrote in message
Hi all,

I recently treated myself to a beautiful Bougainvillea from Columbia Road
Flower Market (London). I know the plant likes to be kept warm and will
need over-wintering indoors (I haven't got a greenhouse). I was just
wondering if anyone has had experience of growing this plant outdoors
without any problems. My plant is in a very sunny (west-facing) position
and should be ok there for the summer.

Jo

You may be ok, but they are difficult to please, dry cold (not frosty)
winters are best so some form of overhead protection to keep both frost and
rain off in winter may work. I have seen only two plants flowering outside
one in Devon and one in Cornwall, both were thatched properties and the
Bougainvillea was planted facing south under the thatched overhang.
Good luck
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk