Old 20-05-2005, 04:24 PM
CTTom CTTom is offline
Registered User

Default Plant thefts

I'm a new member and I write a garden column. I'm currently working on a story about the theft of specimen plants from private gardens. Like any gardener, I've had flowers and shrubs snatched from street-side plantings. But recently I've been hearing stories (all at second-hand) about really valuable plants -- mature Japanese threadleaf maples, cycads, etc. -- taken from private gardens. Someone comes home from a trip and finds a crrater where their specimen used to be. Has this happened to any members of this newsgroup, or do you know anyone to whom this has happened? I'd like to interview victims and discuss with them ways that such prized plants can be protected. I'm assuming there must be a black market in such stolen plants.

Thank you ---- Tom