Old 20-05-2005, 07:39 PM
Doug Kanter

It usually works. Think positive!

"Merle O'Broham" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the tip Doug. I don't have the time for slug hunting, so
I'll try the beer in the dish thing this weekend. It can't hurt,
anyway.

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Merle O'Broham" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm going to try the beer can thing in my garden. Little sluggers

are
feasting on my Sum & Substances. How does that work exactly? You

put a
beercan half-filled with beer next to the hosta, they crawl in,

fall
in, and can't get up?

No - you put it in a shallow dish, like the ones you put under flower

pots.
Obviously, a clay one won't work unless it's glazed. Make a little
depression in the soil so the rim of the dish is almost level with

the
ground. Not sure if they have a preference for certain kinds of beer.

:-)

Another option is to capture them alive, put them in a box with some

moist
oatmeal, let them eat for a few days, and then sautee them with

garlic,
butter and herbs. Escargot! The oatmeal flushes anything nasty out of

their
digestive system. Even though people eat salami, cheez doodles and

other
crap, we wouldn't want to eat anything that ate as badly as we do.