Old 20-05-2005, 03:40 PM
Doug Kanter

"Doe John" wrote in message
After cutting woody brush, I am left with a lot of stems and their
roots. IS there a hand held tool which will pull out the roots? There
is something called a weed wrench, but very expensive . Home Depot has
an item called the Garden Weasel CLaw Gold Cultivator, which doesn't
actually pull anything, but loosens the soil. I have plenty of time on
my hand til the fall when I plan to reseed, and I don't mind the sweat
and effort.

I assume leaving the stems there , cutting them to ground level,and
using a lawnmower to mow the grass is a bad idea.

Thanks

I swear by this tool - not a puller, but good at general destruction:

http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_...tem_no=PS12326

It's indestructable, apparently. I've had mine for about 15 years. It's not
sharp, and doesn't need to be. Instead, it works because of its shape and
weight, as well as the serrated edge, which is great for sawing through
underground roots. The web page says the short version is discontinued. No
problem. Get the long one.