Old 20-05-2005, 11:09 PM
Newt Newt is offline
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemarie face
Hi everyone !
I purchased some Million Bells at a nursery . The look a little leggy. I was wondering if they can be cut back? I got six plants for two hanging baskets (10 in). Is that too many? Anything else I should know about their care? I've never had them before.
Thanks ! Rosie z5
Hi Rosie,

You can pinch them to make them fuller if you like. From this site:
http://www.ecke.com/datasheets/ff_ffx_pcal.html
"Pinching

* Pinch out growing tip 1-2 weeks after transplanting.
* Fast crop no pinching required.
* Light pruning to shape plants or correct for stretch can be done at any time but will delay flowering by 3-5 weeks."

You don't say what size pots you have, but I put 3 in a tapered concrete planter last year that is 12" high and 14" wide at the top and had a lovely full display that I never pinched back.
http://www.denverplants.com/ezine/7_03.htm

Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.