Old 20-05-2005, 10:00 PM
Heidi the Horrible

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Heidi the Horrible" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Heidi the Horrible" wrote in message
news
"red" wrote in message
Jibby wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent my neighbor's dog from
using my yard as it's own personal toilet? I am disabled and use a
power wheelchair and there is nothing worse than getting dog crap on
a wheel (especially since I can't clean the wheels myself). I don't
want to put up a fence, and speaking to the neighbors about it has
been no help.

Thanks,
Jibby

call codes enforcement

That may start a war. Get a slingshot and some harmless but attention
getting ammo. Make a sport of it with a mean yell after firing.

Dogs respond well to training but only if you catch them in the act.

As a peace offering, get your neighbor a pooper scooper and ask him
nicely (again) to stop his dog from going in your yard and if he does,
then please clean it up pronto.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...ff&oi=froogler

Let me get this straight. You think the victim should buy something for
the criminal?

Yes. An unexpected peace offering can do wonders for guilt tripping
someone into stepping up to their responsibilities.

HtH

Oh Heidi....you must be very young. You don't yet know that dog owners are
an exception to your statement. Think about it. If someone step's in your
dog's crap, he has to clean off his shoes, his wheels (in this case), and
perhaps his house or automobile carpets. The victim may have to pay
someone to clean the carpets. If not, he has to waste his time doing it
when he could've been doing something he wanted to do. Therefore, the dog
owner has stolen time, and perhaps money, and is fully aware of this.
Since they are aware of it but allowed their dog out anyway, we conclude
that the result was intentional.

This most certainly does NOT deserve a peace offering.

You can fight your neighbors fire with fire. I choose to fight fire with a
peace offering. To each is his own. The objective is to solve the problem
and have a nice relationship with the neighbor. That is a more complex
objective than just winning the dog poop fight.

Also, you are too harsh on dog owners. Some are irresponsible. Some just
don't realize the problems their dogs are causing. A few years back, I
lived in the country. My dog was well trained and well behaved and was
allowed to roam free at times for an hour or so. Unbeknownst to me, she
snuck up to the neighbors sheep field, jumped the fence and herded them all
in the barn. She didn't hurt the sheep, but the owner was concerned she
would and called my place furious. I appologized and promised to not let it
happen again. It didn't. Or so I thought. A couple of years later, I
found out through the grapevine that it happened again and that the sheep
farmer was furious. However, he never let me know that it happened again.
He told everybody in the neighborhood except me.

I was clearly at fault but I didn't know there was a problem. When I found
out the second time, I installed electric fencing and made damn sure it
didn't happen again.

If the neighbor had just been polite and kept me informed of the problem, we
would have solved it sooner. Had he called animal control or shot my dog,
then it would have been war and the neighborhood would have been a nasty
place.

Life is too short to start a war over dog poop.