Old 20-05-2005, 10:35 PM
Your Name

"Warren" wrote in
:

The best time to start a new lawn is right after the summer heat has
passed. If you're in the US, unless you're up in the mountains, a
little frost in the air in September is not a big deal. Soil
temperatures will be higher than air temperatures, and a little nip in
the air shouldn't harm a cool season grass.

I would also consider seeding instead of sodding. If you have a lot of
money, sod is great. Instant lawn. But just as much prep work is
needed for sod as seed, and if you have a chance to seed at the best
time to seed (fall), why spend the extra money on sod? If the lawn
will be covered by snow all winter, no one cares if there's sod or
seed underneath, and by late spring, a fall seeded lawn is going to
look as good as a fall sodded lawn. And it'll have been less of a
stress on your wallet, too.

Warren, thank you so much for your timely reply. I really appreciate
your suggestion as well about seeding instead of sodding as well. I
forgot to ask about that, but you answered anyway :-)

I'm thinking more and more towards seeding instead of sodding now. Can
you please recommend a few good online resource to learn more about grass
seeding? I'm afraid I'm all thumbs when it comes to DIY projects and
they're not green either. But it is something I would like to try and
would be nice if I can be informed somewhat before I do.

Thanks again for your time and courtesy.

Steve