Old 20-05-2005, 10:43 PM
Tumbleweed

I had a go a growing some strawberries last year without much success. I

got
a few diffent plants from garden centre including Cambridge Vigour,
Favourite and a couple of others I can't remember. I stuck them outside
in
growbags (6 plants in each) on a raised platform and watered, fed with
tomato food after the flowers had formed and picked off dead leaves etc.
used growbags as I don't have a lot of space. The few strawberries that I
actually got were very tasty, just not many of them.

I totally neglected the plants over the winter with the intention of

binning
them this year and trying a different technique. They seem to have perked

up
though and I've taken off and planted some of the runners which also seem

be doing well. Last years plants have loads of flowers at the moment.
I've
read that flowers should be picked off.

I very much doubt you ever read that! Where do you think all fruits come
from if its not the flowers? Were you asleep in biology lessons?

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com