Old 21-05-2005, 01:03 AM
Tim W

Default Wood block paving

I have an urge to attempt to pave an sort of patio area with wooden blocks.
does anyone have experience or advice?

My thoughts were to use oak blocks, end grain upwards. I think they would
have to be two or three inches thick and if they are offcuts from a green
oak sawmill sliced up to the right thickness they might be 6" x 6" or 2" x
4" across. They would be laid onto sand and wackered just like paving
blocks.

I am unsure what sort of treatment they might need: oil, preservative,
creosote? I am concerned that in dry weather they would curl up.

I believe a lot of towns at one time had timber cobbles in the streets. I
suspect they were made of blocks which were more or less cubes and I think
they needed watering in dry weather.

tim W