Old 21-05-2005, 05:17 AM
Sterling

Two episodes occurred in the Atlanta area recently -

Some crepe myrtles were planted on the inside park area of some upscale
condos - Dug up that night and stolen away.

Also there is a small triangular 'park' area where two streets divide
that is maintained by our garden club. A number of shrubs were dug up
during the night stolen taken away.

It has become more common for patio furniture to be stolen but this
business with people digging up PLANTS and taking them is a whole new level.

Cut rate landscaping businesses? The fact that the plant burglars are
now going into private gardens is chilling. Keep us posted.

CTTom wrote:
I'm a new member and I write a garden column. I'm currently working on
a story about the theft of specimen plants from private gardens. Like
any gardener, I've had flowers and shrubs snatched from street-side
plantings. But recently I've been hearing stories (all at second-hand)
about really valuable plants -- mature Japanese threadleaf maples,
cycads, etc. -- taken from private gardens. Someone comes home from a
trip and finds a crrater where their specimen used to be. Has this
happened to any members of this newsgroup, or do you know anyone to
whom this has happened? I'd like to interview victims and discuss with
them ways that such prized plants can be protected. I'm assuming there
must be a black market in such stolen plants.

Thank you ---- Tom