Old 21-05-2005, 04:26 AM
JimS.

"Elphaba" wrote in message
Hi everyone.

I'm extremely new to roses. I bought a Hybrid Tea BlueGirl on Sunday
from the local Home Depot. It was in bad need of pruning and
deadheading. I took care of that, planted it, gave it a gallon of
water. It's been looking real good, transplant shock considered.
However I noticed some splotches on some leaves which I would presume
to be normal spotting on other plants. I've attached photos of the
leaves. Am I being paranoid or is that the beginning of black spot?

Any tips or information from more experienced gardeners would be
greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

- Elphaba

Elphaba,

YES, Blue Girl does spot-- bad-- and a lot. I have one and it's always been
a real fussy one, full of black spot.
Interestingly enough, this year I transplanted it from a very large pot into
the ground, and I've also been more fastidious about spraying this year.
And for the first time, it's spot free.

A healthier plant does also tend to help ward off the blackspot. But you're
probably going to have to be regular with your anti-fungual spraying to keep
Blue Girl spot-free. It's not the easiest rose to grow (to keep spots off,
that is). When it's healthy, it's a really nice rose though.

JimS.
Seattle