Old 21-05-2005, 06:43 AM
Kathy

You could add a diverter that would let you have both water going over the
rock and streight up as a flow with out the fountain effect. If you have a
bio filter, that would cut the force into thirds.The diverter would let you
cut the force going to each hose. Or down size one line to go to a spitter.
I have a 300 gallon with a big pump and I use diverters to run a waterfall,
the filter, and a spitter. It slows everything down to a workable speed.
Keeps all the fish and plants happy.I would never turn off my pump. It runs
24/7/365. Don't have turtles in the pond though, mine are western box and
live in the yard, and the pond is half above ground, so they don't get into
trouble. KathyAZ
"DD DDD" wrote in message
I have a 300 gallon pond. The filter and pump is 1800gph which is way
overkill. My problem is Sometimes I want it quiet by the pond so I can
just look at my creatures without them flowing around from the strong
current the pump makes. I can slow down the filter a little but it says
no more than 2/3 . And if I shut it off to long I kill the bio filter
bacteria. I guess my problem is I just need plenty of oxygen so my fish
are happy. When I shut off the pump for a hour or so they just get lazy
and seem to need oxygen. I was told a airpump puts no air at all in the
pond , that it just makes rolling water that adds oxygen. Is this true?
The airpump must put some oxygen in. I have 3 small turtles in the pond
also and they hate the rapid moving water. I have the 1 1/2 inch outlet
hose on a rock that makes it like a waterfall and the fish are lively
and love it. So cant I just add a few air stones or air bubbler when the
pump is off for about 1-2 hours? I lost 1 turtle already because the
flow is to much. I cant put a fountain in either. Help