Old 21-05-2005, 02:01 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 5/21/2005 8:21:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

I seem to have the same problem too. I use liquid organic fertilizer; can
that be causing the fungus
gnats too?

Gary
Zone 7

The fertilizer will not cause the gnats but it may encourage them. As
Iris says the gnats are a symptom of too much water and/or poorly drained
soil.
Repotting in a better draining soil is the best solution, followed by better
watering practices. You can just reduce water and try a liquid insecticide
that will kill the larva in the soil. But, if the soil is worn out and compacted
the problem will continue.
Once you see the gnats flying the problem is serious because the real
damage is done by the larva in the soil before the flies emerge. The damage
is also done by the over watering which can/will result in root rot. That is
why we repot.
(Worn out soil. Our soils contain organic elements that break down as well as
inorganics such as perlite and vermiculite that break down. As these elements
break down into smaller particles the soil doesn't drain as well or contain
enough air spaces so root rot is encouraged.)
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++