Old 21-05-2005, 12:11 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 5/20/05 11:24 AM, in article , "CTTom"
wrote:

I'm a new member and I write a garden column. I'm currently working on
a story about the theft of specimen plants from private gardens. Like
any gardener, I've had flowers and shrubs snatched from street-side
plantings. But recently I've been hearing stories (all at second-hand)
about really valuable plants -- mature Japanese threadleaf maples,
cycads, etc. -- taken from private gardens. Someone comes home from a
trip and finds a crrater where their specimen used to be. Has this
happened to any members of this newsgroup, or do you know anyone to
whom this has happened? I'd like to interview victims and discuss with
them ways that such prized plants can be protected. I'm assuming there
must be a black market in such stolen plants.

Thank you ---- Tom

A few years back there was a case of all the hydrangea blooms being cut off
at an elderly woman's garden on the Cape. Check the Cape Cod Times.

I have heard of people stealing daylilies, especially unregistered seedlings
from gardens, right after tours have come through.

Cheryl