Old 08-02-2003, 05:02 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Wild roses cut back to 4 inches high...

The message
from "gareth crawshaw" contains these words:

Hi,

I and my neighbours have (or had until yesterday) a row of wild roses that
were about 5 feet high (4ft deep and 80ft long) along the front of our
gardens. Yesterday, I returned home to discover that the coucil's landscape
gardeners had pruned this row to a height of about four inches...

The question is then, are the plants likely to recover from such a severe
cutting? Thanks for any answers...

They will grow back twice as strong.

Lovely as they are, wild roses have a lot of thorns at eye level on
arching stems, more than most other roses. If they grow alongside a
public path and could obstruct/ scratch pedestrians or even road
cyclists, that's perhaps why they were cut back.

Janet.