Old 21-05-2005, 09:19 PM
Bill

"blank" Spaketh Thusly:

"paul anderson" wrote in message
news:L%yje.15225$Y36.8077@trndny05...
Does anyone know if I can soak drift wood from the ocean for a couple of
weeks to get the salt out and then use it in my fresh water aquarium. Or

is
there any other way.

Yes, you can. I soak it for a month or so, changing the water once in a
while, then leave it in the sun for some time, then soak it again until it
stays submerged by itself, then put it in the tank. It takes a while, but
theres plenty of driftwood around where I live.

I agree, I've done it, changing the water daily (or close to it) for a few
weeks (under a rock for weight) then leaving it soak until it no longer
floats.
One other step I take with all "found" wood, is to add bleach to the first
soak to disinfect it - just in case. A little dechlor to the next few to get
rid of the bleach.
I have had mixed luck with how long it lasts.

--
Bill H. [my "reply to" address is real]
www.necka.net