Old 21-05-2005, 09:48 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

snipped sick fish form
Do you or anybody else out there know how to make a 3% salt
salutation. I want to make a small bowl with a 3% salt salutation and just
put the sick fish in it. Dose anybody know how to do this.

Here's the dose. roughly...
1/2 cup salt in 1 gallon = 3%, the concentration for a dip. BUT

I don't think your problem is necessarily a disease or parasite, the
problem is poor water quality. You need to test for ammonia (and not with
strips, too often inaccurate) and know your pH. Water should be changed
with 10% old coming out and 10% new going in weekly. Auto fillers are fine
if you turn it off periodically to make sure your pond isn't leaking. You
mentioned well water, so at least chlorine isn't a problem.

little black spots on its side.

This could be black spot disease they pick up from snails. If on fins,
could be damage from ammonia. Crowding and poor water quality make them
more susceptible to black spot.

Is my pump to small?

No, but filter or piping may be. You mentioned a bog (I hope veggie filter
with plants not peat?) filter, if new, perhaps isn't up to snuff yet in
taking out the nutrients. What are the diameters of the veggie filter?

Is the decaying barley straw making my fish sick or responsible for the
murky water?

Not sick fish, and I even doubt murky water.

Anyway I can get rid of the frogs?

Catch adults and relocate and don't let any tadpoles grow to maturity in
the pond. You're sure they're frogs and not toads? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~