Old 22-05-2005, 02:54 AM
Paul

Thanks, but what do mean by add a "CELL". I have approx 20 goldfish in size
from 3" to 6" and three KOI sizes from 3" to 8".
"George" wrote in message

"Paul" wrote in message
Hi, was wondering if someone could tell me if I did the right thing here.
I built a Biofilter for my pond.It is 12X7X2. The one I built is 9gal.
basically a square Rubbermaid box. The pump (1200gph) pumps into the
"top" of box through an 18W UV light, then goes into filter through a 1
1/4" thick Med. filter pad. It works its way down through the filter
media. The media is a combination of Bio Ceramic Barrels,Two bags of Lava
Rocks crushed into smaller sizes and regular Supra media, then finally
exits out the bottom into pond. Will this design keep water ok?

The efficiency of any biofilter depends mostly on the bioload in the pond.
I suspect that if your bioload is low to moderate, it should work well for
you. If it is high, you may want to attach an additional cell to the
existing one. Having said that, I wouldn't go through the trouble until
you've let this one run long enough to see if it is going to handle the
load. If it does, then you're done. If not, think about adding another
cell. The wonderful thing about biofilters if they are constructed
properly is that you can always add more cells to the flow (if you have
the room).