Old 21-05-2005, 10:54 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Dave Poole contains these words:

/bird cherry/

I can't understand how it's unknown to all of
us but I don't think any of us is going to rush to plant it, either!

I don't blame you - its a lot of space to devote to such a 'squinny'
thing. OK in a wildwood, but not in the garden.

I had one growing in one of my hedgerows when I had the smallholding,
and it began to show signs of dying. As it had a fine curved shape, and
I was restoring a flintlock plains rifle, I carefully dug it out and
sealed the cut roots and top, and stored it for several years in the
cart store. (New England guns were often stocked with cherry.)

When I judged it seasoned enough to cut it, I put it on the sawing horse
and cut it parallel with the axis with a ripsaw. __
(| )
ŻŻ
When the side separated, the reason why it was dying was revealed -
there was a big area of rot - and it wasn't possible to get a stock from
it, though it provided some nice wood for carving.

Anyone who's disposing of a fruit tree, especially one with a bend in
its trunk, please bear me in mind...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/