Old 22-05-2005, 01:28 AM
Alan Gabriel

"Tim W" wrote in message

Oak because there is a local sawmill which cuts a lot of green oak for
fencing and building. They have mountains of offcuts. My instinct is
telling
me that if they are not as thick as they are wide they will curl up so
maybe
3" or 6" cubes would be the thing.

I can't find any web references to garden use, only a few to old street
cobbles. I don't know yet if I have had a brilliant and original idea or
if
there is a very good reason why this is never done.

On Grand Designs (Channel 4) last year, they showed a new timber framed
house built using green oak. The owner said it creaked as it dried out and
showed splits in the timbers.

Although they weren't serious, given the size of the beams, you might find
your patio breaking up over the summer months.

--
Regards,
Alan

Preserve wildlife - pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.