Old 22-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Doug Kanter

"Heidi the Horrible" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Heidi the Horrible" wrote in message

Some just don't realize the problems their dogs are causing.

Sometimes, we step into logic traps. You just did that.

Scenario: You open the newspaper and read that two toddlers were found
dead after ingesting toxic cleaning products while their parents were
busy watching "The Price is Right" on TV two rooms away. You scream
bloody murder to a friend about this. The friend says "Some just don't
realize the problems their toxic cleaning products might cause for
toddlers".

You say:

"Bullshit. They had no business caring for children".

Don't deny it. That is exactly what you'd say. So, using YOUR logic, some
people have no business owning dogs.

Whatever. I have no idea what kids ingesting toxic chemicals has to do
with dog poop. That's a big leap in irresponsible parenting.

Slow down, Heidi. My point was obvious. You allow that it might be OK for a
dog owner to say "Duh...I didn't know it was a problem for my dog to be let
out without a leash". That is no different than a parent saying "Duh....I
didn't know it was a problem to leave 6 kinds of toxic cleaning products
accessible to 3 toddlers". In the second example, you would say
"Well....your kids are in the hospital, you are a moron, and if the world
were run correctly, you never should've been allowed to have kids".

In the first example, you give the dog owner some slack for some reason.
This is what dog owners depend on to get away with their antics. Why this
is, I have no idea, except that people seem to make allowances for
"cuteness" or something. "Oh...the dog didn't know it was causing a
problem". Irrelevant. The dog, being mindless, is an extension of its owner.
No different than a car or a gun.

If you get drunk and hit a pedestrian with your car, you get arrested. If
you shoot an innocent person, you get arrested (and only idiots blame the
gun). If you throw household trash onto your neighbor's lawn, the cops will
stop by and hassle you, and maybe even arrest you, depending on your
attitude. Why are the rules different if someone uses a dog to spread trash?

It's called civil trespass, by the way.