Old 22-05-2005, 02:41 PM

Default [IBC] Vermiculite

In a message dated 5/22/05 12:06:08 AM, Billy writes:
Our soils contain organic elements that break down as well as inorganics
such as perlite and vermiculite that break down.

I never heard of perlite breaking down. It is an air-popped volcanic rock &
stays for years. I wouldn't use it in bonsai soil because it floats to the
surface, but many people find it useful. Vermiculite does break down. It turns to
mush in short order. I would never use it in bonsai soil, but I imagine some
people find it appropriate. For an absorbent inorganic component, I would
prefer Turface, Haydite, or flourite.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++