Old 22-05-2005, 11:08 AM
Chris Hogg

On Fri, 20 May 2005 18:40:58 +0200, martin wrote:

On Fri, 20 May 2005 17:38:35 +0100, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

martin wrote:

It took me 5 minutes to find Franz's address using Internet. I

already
posted his address here.

It must have escaped my attention. We all have his email address, of
course; but if you mean his postal address, isn't it best not to
publish, even if it is on the Internet?

Since nobody seemed to notice, there's no damage done.

Using Agent, you can actually delete messages from usenet, but
presumably only your own. From trial and error it seems to work like
this, but there may be a better way.

Display the message you want to delete, highlight all the text,
including any quoted text from earlier messages in the thread, and
copy it. Then click on 'Post' from the page-top menu, and click on
'Cancel Usenet Message' at the bottom of the drop-down list. This
brings up an empty message page. Paste the copy of your message and
send it, and it vanishes from usenet, or appears to.

Of course, it might just be that your own computer no longer displays
it! I accidentally sent two replies to the thread on 'Dwarf Rhode
problem' a couple of weeks ago, the second being a revised version of
the first. The two messages appeared, but not wishing both to be
displayed, I canceled the first version almost immediately using the
above procedure.

The relevant message certainly disappeared from my computer (which
surprised me slightly, as I assumed it would only be deleted from the
main usenet file servers), but did everyone except me still see two
versions?

Martin, if you do this with the message containing Franz's address, it
will be interesting to see if it goes from people's individual
computers, as well as usenet in general.

--
Chris