Old 22-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Martello

Default Hail damage

Hi,

The old saying, "Don't cast your clouts 'till May is out" certainly rang
true here in Peterborough yesterday afternoon. A sunny morning was followed
by a very stormy afternoon with hail stones the size of marbles. My two rows
of young spinach have been destroyed as have a few plants in my hanging
baskets. My runner bean plants were surrounded by large hail stones, but
surprisingly appear to have survived the battering. All the petals on my
strawberry plants have been knocked off, does that mean they will not fruit
this year? I hope not. Ah well, win some, lose some! That's the joy of
gardening.

Martello