Old 22-05-2005, 03:22 PM
Paul

Thanks. I've been reading and a lot of articles say not to clean them
anymore than you have to.Does that make sense?
"Gale Pearce" wrote in message

Hi, was wondering if someone could tell me if I did the right thing here.

built a Biofilter for my pond.It is 12X7X2. The one I built is 9gal.
basically a square Rubbermaid box. The pump (1200gph) pumps into the
"top"
of box through an 18W UV light, then goes into filter through a 1 1/4"

thick
Med. filter pad. It works its way down through the filter media. The
media

Hi Paul - IMHO, you have the right idea , but the filter is a bit small
and
will need cleaning more often than I would like - My pond is close to the
same size as yours with ~ 40 fish , but I use a 45 gal barrel with a 1200
gal pump (upflow design) and I need to "backflush" it 2 - 3 times a season
when it loads up (no UV, but the UV only helps with algae bloom anyway and
never have it when my filter is running) Also 1200 gal/hr is a lot for a 9
gal filter to work properly. You will know how it works when you test the
water, or to be safer go to a larger container and add media to it as you
need it (or get tired of cleaning it so often)
Gale :~)