Old 22-05-2005, 05:22 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sun, 22 May 2005 06:33:57 GMT, "Rick" wrote:

That filter that came with the old pump had way too much backpressure so I
think I may leave it out of the loop. Do you think that I need some kind of
pre filter if I ad a veggie filter in the Skippy?

A pre-filter is always a good idea, less cleaning of that which follows.

Also the one pond has no fish in it so I plan to put a lot of plants in it
like a veggie filter but sense the shelf space is limited dose it mater that
it is four feet deep? Or will plants like watercress just grow in deep
water, or do their roots need to be able to reach button? How will they do
in more still water? Any hardy plants you could recommend.

Watercress can be put all around the edges (assuming rock edge that you can
tuck it under). It will do fine, your water isn't that still with that much
flow.

Got some med’s from Wall Mart that should cure 7 of 9
funguses.

I wouldn't use them, they are most likely sick due to poor water quality.
Did you buy test kits while you were there?

I didn’t get the meaning of you comment about the bog. Should I be looking
at some things there?

Bog: Marsh, stagnant acidic water.
Veggie filter: plants that water flows freely thru.

My water test is as follows; Nitrate 5-20 safe, Nitrite the color the test
strip isn’t on the chart of the test strip bottle, Hardness hard, PH 8-8.4

What color is it closest too? The 0 or the higher number? Forget the strips
and get Aquarium Pharmaceuticals kits. Be sure the ammonia test is the two
bottle one. www.thatpetplace.com or www.drsfostersmith.com ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~